Harry Yates was one of ten steel-hulled ships, eight bulkers and two package freighters, built at the St. Clair yard and the first of three new 524 footers to enter service for the American Steamship Company. She entered service in May of 1910 and went to work hauling primarily grain which was the usual cargo for Boland & Cornelius during the early years. She was converted to a self-unloader in June of 1934 by the American Ship Building Company at Lorain, Ohio and re-entered service as Consumers Power (2). Her new tonnes were 6,391 GRT, 5,082 NRT and 9,400 dwt. A new tail shaft was fitted in February of 1956 and she was renamed Fred A. Manske (1) in 1958 to release her former name to another vessel in the fleet.
Fred A. Manske sailed for 5 years before being sold in January of 1962 to Redwood Enterprises Ltd. of Port Credit, Ontariom Canada. (A Reoch Steamship Co. Ltd. subsidiary) She was subsequently transferred to Leadale Shipping Ltd. (Westdale Shipping Ltd., manager) of Hamilton, Bermuda. She was renamed Leadale (1) at that time and in 1966 she was brought under Canadian registration. Her Canadian tonnages were 7,073 GRT, 4,701 NRT and 9,400 dwt. She was converted to oil-fired boilers over the winter of 1970-71. On February 14, 1973 Leadale's forward cabins burned while she was idle for winter layup in Hamilton, Ontario. They were subsequently repaired and she returned to service later that spring.
During this period and to her end Leadale (1) hauled stone, coal, salt, cement clinker and sand. She was transferred in 1974 to Reoch Transports Ltd. of Port Credit and managed by Westdale. In 1977 she was transferred to Dale Transports Ltd. and was active throughout that year before laying up at Toronto, Ont. for the last time. Leadale was sold to Marine Salvage Ltd. of Port Colborne, Ontario in 1978 and was towed to Hamilton, where she was loaded with scrap. After being re-sold to overseas ship breakers she was towed down the Seaway on December 12-13, 1978 by the tugs Robert H and Techno Venture. She arrived in Quebec City on November 15th and ended up spending the winter months there in lay up. Finally during June of 1979 Leadale cleared Quebec City under the tug Irving Birch bound for Colombian shipbreakers at Cartagena.
|Leadale (1) is seen in this photograph just after she had departed the Welland Canal at Port Weller, Ontario on March 27th, 1972. It was taken from the east pier during the morning hours.|
Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron