WILLIAM A. WHITNEY - Detroit, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Call sign - WD6050
IMO number - 5390187
Owner - Gaelic Tugboat Company, U.S.A.
Location - Underway at Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A. (Lake Erie)
Photograph Date - August 1988
Photographer - Jim Hoffman
Added to archive - 4 Mar 2003
Last updated - 4 Mar 2003
Keel laid -
Delivered - 1920
(a) William A. Whitney - U.S.A. (1992)
(b) Peggy D. Hannah - U.S.A.
As of March 2003 she is still in service as
Peggy D. Hannah
Ship type - Tug
Gross tonnage - 145
Net tonnage - 47
Deadweight tonnage - none
L.O.A. - 32.77 meters (107'6")
L.B.P. - 30.79 meters (101'0")
Width overall - 7.35 meters (24'0")
Width moulded - 7.32 meters (24'1")
Draught - meters
Depth - 3.81 meters (12'6")
Yard name - Whitney Brothers Co.
Country - Superior, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Hull number - 61
Engine builder - Fairbanks Morse & Company, Beloit, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
Number of engines - 1
Engine type - Fairbanks-Morse 10-38D 8-1/8 diesel
Horsepower - 2,000 bhp
Speed - 13 knots
Bow/stern thuster hp - none
U.S. Official # - 220054
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - Former owners, accidents, conversions, cargoes,
voyages, sightings or corrections etc -
* 1920 until 1931 she was owned by the Whitney Brothers Company in Superior, Wisconsin as William A. Whitney
* Her original engine was a 1906-built triple expansion steam engine (14", 22" & 38" x 24") that had originally been
installed in the tug The Moose. It had been built by the Montague Iron Works (Wilson & Haughsy) in Montague, Michigan and it
produced up to 500 indicated horsepower
* 1931 until 1963 she was owned by the Merrit Chapman & Scott Corporation, U.S.A. as William A. Whitney
* 1963 until 1975 William A. Whitney was owned by the Zenith Dredge Company, U.S.A.
* 1975 until 1991 William A. Whitney was owned by the Gaelic Tugboat Company, Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
* 1975 her original engine was removed
* 1977 her second engine was installed. It is a 10-cylinder, Fairbanks Morse opposed piston diesel. It was originally built in Beloit, Wisconsin for the tug Eastwind
* Since 1991 she has been owned by the Hannah Marine Corporation as Peggy D. Hannah
Information sources - Moran's Shoreside Companion for Great Lakes Ships & Lloyds Registers
Additional information -
Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures
This website is best viewed with a screen resolution of 1152 x 864
Email - Jeff Cameron, Canada