Bluefin - 38E 5246


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures

The former fishing tug Bluefin is seen in this photograph moored at St. Catharines Marina during the evening
of June 17th, 1998. She had pulled into the Marina to spend the night before heading up the canal on the 18th.

This 39'10" tug was built in 1937 by Russel Bros. at Owen Sound, Ontario. Her construction had been commissioned by a man named Angus (Buddy) McLeod and upon her completion he put her to work fishing out of Nipigon. This was a trade Bluefin would continue in for many years in fact, her current owner records that her last fishing year was 1987.

Since 1987 Bluefin has been restored and modified with a new wheelhouse and she has made several trips through the Welland Canal in recent years looking as she does in these photos. Ironically, she has outlived her official port of registry. Port Arthur is no longer referred to as such but is known now as Thunder Bay instead.


Welland Canal Archive Home
Lakers photo library
Welland Canal Transits
Send a message
Posted: July 10, 1998       Last Revised: February 21, 2000
Photos by: Jeff Cameron - Copyright © - 1998, 2000

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron