Fuel transfer barge - Provmar Terminal


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of this picture

The former hull of Halco's Ungava Transport is seen in this photograph secured at the Provmar Terminal dock in Hamilton harbour on February 2nd, 1991. Fuel is loaded aboard for storage and then transfered to the small bunkering tanker Hamilton Energy for trans shipmant to Great Lakes ships visiting Western Lake Ontario ports.

She was originally built in 1959 as the bulk carrier Varangnes. In 1970 she was converted to a tanker and renamed Tommy Wiborg and in 1974 she was sold to Halco Inc. of Canada and renamed Ungava Transport. In 1985 she was sold to Provmar Fuels in Hamilton and they had the ship reduced to a barge named Provmar Terminal.


Welland Canal Archive Home
Lakers photo library
Welland Canal Transits
Send a message
Posted: April 19, 1999       Last Revised: March 23, 2000
Photo by: Jeff Cameron - Copyright © - 1991, 2000

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron