She was built in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada by the Collingwood Shipyard for the British & American Oil Company. She was launched on July 28th, 1952 and departed the shipyard on her maiden voyage on October 30th to begin trading on the Great Lakes. She measured 620 feet in length and was therefore unable to transit eastbound through the St. Lawrence Seaway locks since they were only 260 feet in length.
Her primary role in the early years was transporting crude oil from Superior, Wisconsin to the British & American oil refinery at Clarkson, Ontario. Near the end of the 1958 shipping season she was shortened by 80 feet at the Port Arthur Shipyard on Lake Superior, fitted with a new ocean style bow and prepared for salt water service. Once the new locks of the Seaway opened in 1959 she set out for ports all around the Atlantic Seaboard.
In 1969 she was renamed Gulf Canada and in 1984 she became Coastal Canada when her ownership was taken over by Can-Coast Marine Inc. By the end of 1980s she had seen a long career and her end was near. On January 12, 1989 she laid up at Halifax, Nova Scotia after she had spent several days cleaning her tanks. In the fall of 1989 she was sold and crew was sent from overseas to raise steam on the ship. Her new owners had hoped to sail the ship to Pakistan with a cargo of petroleum products however it never materialized.
On December 19th, 1989 following her sale for scrap Coastal Canada departed Halifax under tow of the Russian tug, Gigant bearing St. Vincent registration. Several months later on March 22nd, 1990 they arrived off Alang, India where the ship was later beached and reduced to scrap.
Information courtesy The Ships of Collingwood by Skip Gillham, Shipfax by Mac MacKay
Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron