Inland Transport - Montreal, Canada


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures

The 1926-built, 1,946-grt, 1,130-nrt oil tanker Inland Transport is seen in this photograph while she transiting upbound in the Welland Canal in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada north of lock 2 sometime during 1969.


This ship was built by the Federal Shipbuilding Company at Kearny, New Jersey, U.S.A. She was completed in 1926 as Steel Chemist and joined the U.S. Steel Products Company to carry steel bars, rails, coils, wire and pig iron on the Great Lakes and East Coast routes. Other cargoes such as newsprint were hauled on demand.

Steel Chemist measured 78.74 meters long by 13.08 meters wide (258'3" x 42'9") and was registered at 2,200 gross tons. She originally had oil fired engines of 358 nominal horsepower that were manufactured by the Worthington Pump & Machinery Company in Buffalo, New York.

Following World War II the vessel was sold to the Inland Steamship Copmany and operated as The Inland under Hutchinson management. However in 1948 she was resold to Transit Tankers and Terminals and she arrived at Port Weller Drydocks in St. Catharines, Ontario in mid May for reconstruction from a dry cargo ship to a tanker. The ship returned to service in 1949 as Transinland, registered at 1,946 gross tons and she was capable of carrying up to 25,000 barrels of oil. A ten year old, 1,600 horsepower Fairbanks Morse diesel engine was installed at Port Weller Drydocks later in 1954.

Transinland made 55 trips in 1957 and most cargoes were carried for Imperial Oil. The majority of the loads came aboard at Montreal for destinations such as Rimouski, Forestville, Quebec City, Three Rivers, Chicoutimi and Port Alfred. When she took fuel supplies out of Sarnia deliveries were made to Parry Sound, Britt, Michipicoton, Fort William and other upper Great Lakes ports. The Hall Corporation purchased this tanker in 1968 and she became Inland Transport. The vessel served another four years before grounding near Little Current, Ontario on November 4th, 1972. She made one more trip that season before heading to Collingwood for inspection and possible repairs. It was found that the damage was too severe though and the ship was declared a total loss.

Inland Transport laid up at Sarnia on December 3rd, 1972 and she never sailed again. She was towed to Port Dover from Sarnia on July 7th, 1976 following a sale to Harry Gamble however by 1980 it was evident that she was never going to return to service. She was towed to Port Maitland in 1980 where A. Newman reduced the ship to scrap.


Information courtesy The Scanner - Toronto Marine Historical Society
and Skip Gillham's book Hall Corporation Tankers of the Great Lakes

If you know more about this ship - trade routes, cargoes, accidents, layups, drydockings etc.etc.. please send me a Message.

Posted: November 25, 2002       Last Revised: November 25, 2002
Photo likely by Alfred F. Sagon-King (Jeff Cameron's collection) - Copyright © - 1960s, 2002

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron