Lake Winnipeg - Edmonton, Canada


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures

The straight deck bulk carrier Lake Winnipeg is seen in this photograph as she was being pulled from the Govan drydock in Glascow, Scotland on June 15th, 1962. She had just undergone conversion to a Great Lakes bulk carrier and was about to begin sea trials.

Lake Winnipeg was originally built as a T-2 tanker in the United States for the World War II effort. The Kaiser Company, Ltd., drydock in Portland, Oregon launched the vessel as Table Rock and she quickly went to work in Atlantic convoys. She was sold in 1948 after the war into the commercial merchant marine and her hane was eventually changed to Nivose. Service as such continued until 1962 when the 19 year old vessel was purchased by Nipigon Transports, Canada for conversion to a Great Lakes bulk carrier.

The tug on the left, wich is towing Lake Winnipeg out of the dock is named Campaigner however the other two in the picture to the left of the ship couldn't be identified from the picture.. Can you help...?

Thanks to Tommy Bryceland, Gourock, Scotland for this fantastic photograph


Welland Canal Archive Home
Photograph Archives
Welland Canal Transits
Send a message
Posted: November 30, 2001, 2001       Last Revised: November 30, 2001
Photo by : unknown courtesy of Tommy Bryceland, Gourock, Scotland - Copyright © - 1962, 2001

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron