Chevron the Hague - Holland


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of this picture

The tanker Chevron the Hague is seen in this photograph while underway likely in Holland during 1982.
Photographer unknown - Willem VanMaanen's collection

This T-E tanker was built in the United States by the Alabama Dry Dock and Shipbuilding Company at Mobile, Alabama for the War Shipping Administration (hull #339) and entered service as BOONESBOROUGH. She had the following statistics - 10,822 gross tons, 6,292 net tons, and 16,421 deadweight. Measurements of 503.5 feet x 68.1 feet x 39.1 feet. She was powered by 2, General Electric steam turbines from Lynn, Massachusetes and it produced up to 6,000 horsepower and gave a speed of 14.5 knots. After World War II ended she was laid up and eventually sold in 1947 to the Overseas Tankship Corporation (Caltex) of Panama but her name remained unchanged.

In 1950 she was transfered to N.V. Nederlandsche Pacific Tankvaart Maatschappij, 's-Gravenhage, Holland and renamed CALTEX THE HAGUE. In 1967 she was lengthened by Asano Dockyard Nippon Kokan in Kawasaki, Japan, and emerged with the following statistics - 13,596 gross tons, 9,885 net tons and 22,352 deadweight. Length 565.7 feet x 77.6 feet x 31.10 1/2 feet. During April of 1967 her owner's name changed to Chevron Tankers (Nederland) N.V. and the ship was renamed CHEVRON THE HAGUE.

In 1983 after 16 years of trading she was sold for scrap and arrived in Santander, Spain on November 29th. Work on dismantling the hull began in January of 1984.

Thanks to Alex van Rheenen and Mr. B. van Rheenen from Holland for the above research on Chevron the Hague.


Welland Canal Archive Home
Lakers photo library
Welland Canal Transits
Send a message
Posted: August 26, 1999       Last Revised: March 24, 2001
Photo courtesy of : Willem VanMaanen - Copyright © - 1982, 2001

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron