Calypso - Piraeus, Greece


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures

The 1954-built, 2,652-dwt, 1,799-grt, partially refrigerated general cargo ship Calypso is seen in this photograph while she was approaching the entrance of the Welland Canal in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada on June 10th, 1972. Photographs by Gordon Turner.

This ship was ordered on November 19th, 1952 by DFDS, Kobenhavn, Denmark for construction at Frederikshavns Vaerft & Flydedok A/S in Frederikshavn, Denmark. On March 20th, 1954 her keel was laid down and construction began. Her name was originally intended to be Paros however by the time she was launched on November 18th, 1954 it had been changed to Naxos. On February 25th, 1955 she completed her sea trials and was subsequently delivered to DFDS, Kobenhavn. Later that day she departed Frederikshavn for Elsinore where she would undergo final fitout and engine checks until March 3rd.

Her engine was a Single acting, 8-cylinder (500x900) type B&W 850-VF-90 diesel engine. It produced up to 2,550 bhp and could push the ship along at around 14.5 knots. It was built by Helsingor Skibsvaerft og Maskinbyggeri A/S in Elsinore, Norway which is why she went there for engine checks prior to entering service. She measured 101.15 meters in length, 13.64 meters in width and 8.08 meters in depth with a draught of 5.6 meters.

On March 6th, 1955 Naxos departed Copenhagen for Antwerp on her maiden voyage. From 1955 until 1969 she mainly between Copenhagen, Antwerp and the Western Mediterranean. From 1964 until 1966 and again in 1968 she crossed the Atlantic Ocean to trade at ports in North America as well. In 1966 she sailed for the Nordana Line and in 1967 she saw service from Copenhagen to South America, Madeira and the Canary Islands. In 1968 she operated between Aalborg and Leith and in November of 1968 she was time chartered to Van Nievelt Goudrian for service between Europe and Canada

On September 14th, 1969 she arrived at Copenhagen from Tanger and laid up for a few months. On Nobember 27th, 1969 she was sold to Compania Naviera Odiseo S.A., Piraeus for $325,000 and on January 28th, 1970 she was taken over by her new owners at Frederikshavn. She was subsequently renamed Ulysses Ogygia. In 1971 the name was changed to Calypso and in 1973 she was sold to the Syntrofia Shipping Corporation (P. Hantzis), Ithaka, Greece and renamed Manuella Pride

In 1974 she was sold to the Hoe Hoe Shipping Company (Private) Ltd., Singapore and renamed Hoe Hing and she operated as such until 1981. That year she was sold to Bagus Shipping (M) Sendirian Berhad (Hoe Hoe Shipping Co. Pte. Ltd.), Singapore however her name was unchanged. Her career was drawning to and end though.. On September 14th, 1983 Hoe Hing arrived at Bangkok, Thailand where she was subsequently beached and dismantled by the Thai Steel & Iron Corporation. Demolition of the ship was completed during October of 1983.

Information courtesy Per Sondergaard, Denmark
If you would like to submit additional information about this ship please send me a MESSAGE


Posted: October 23, 2001       Last Revised: December 19, 2002
Photographs by Gordon Turner - Copyright © - 1972, 2002

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron