Avila - Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.


Click Here for information about purchasing copies of these pictures

The 1954-built, 17,591-dwt, 11,4866-grt, oil tanker Avila is seen in this photograph while she was underway at the port of San Pedro, California, U.S.A. during March of 1977. Photograph by Ray Thorsteinson

She was built in Sparrows Point, U.S.A. by the Bethlehem Sparrows Point Shipyard as Avila. Late in 1976 she was sold by the Pico Tanker Corporation, U.S.A. to the Union Oil Company of California however her name was not changed. In 1981 she was sold to the Sabine Towing & Transportation Company and renamed Angelina although shortly thereafter she was sold for dismantling through Eckhardt & Company K.G. West Germany. On October 16th, 1981 she arrived off Chittagong, Bangladesh where she was later beached and reduced to scrap.

Information courtesy Lloyds Registers, Marine News & Fairplay Internet Ship Register


Posted: December 7, 2002       Last Revised: December 7, 2002
Photo by Ray Thorsteinson courtesy Marc Piche - Copyright © - 1977, 2002

Site updated and maintained by Jeff Cameron